Seared Tuna Ingredients
- Ahi tuna* – 8-12 ounces
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- Cracked pepper
- Salt (very little)
- Grapeseed oil (works well at high temps)
* Choose a market that has fresh ahi tuna.
- Use cracked pepper or regular ground pepper. Add as much as you’d like. Remember you can always add more when cooked.
- Add juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
- Add a little salt. The key word here is little.
- Spray pan with pam and then add a tablespoon of grapeseed oil. Turn heat to medium high and allow pan to get hot.
- Place fish in pan for 1 minute and then turn for 1 minute on the other side.The idea is to sear the fish. Put out of your mind that you have to have the fish cooked well done. It’s not the case with fresh tuna and it will be quite tasty. However, if you’d like to cook your fish longer feel free. Your meal will still be wonderful and fresh.
- Romaine Lettuce (bibb lettuce)
- Red Cabbage
- Your favorite salad veggies (carrots, squash, cucumber, tomatoes)
- Sunflower Seeds
- Olive Oil – 3 tbsp
- Red Wine Vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar (Splash on salad)
- Cracked Pepper (to taste)
- Fresh Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Balsamic Glaze (just a bit!)
- Optional: Italian Seasoning, salt, basil
I use romaine lettuce already washed and bagged. Add veggies like carrots, squash, cucumber, tomatoes and if you’d like add a few sunflower seeds.
The dressing is where we usually make the biggest mistake. Don’t use prepared dressing that is loaded with unhealthy fats and sugars. Instead develop your own vinaigrette dressing. I start with a little lemon juice followed by cracked pepper and cold pressed virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. Then I enjoy adding a bit of balsamic glaze just for a nice sweetness. Keep in mind that too much salt is not our friend so use salt sparingly. Again, feel free to use Mrs. Dash and other herbs like italian seasoning, oregano etc. Fresh basil is also a nice addition. Be creative!
This is really simple. Put the salad in the middle of the plate and slice the fish in 1/4” widths and place on top of the salad. Garnish with fruit. Feel free to use the balsamic glaze to make a design on the plate. Have fun!